Statistically not a big deal. A house below the median and average house price in Lexington KY. Smaller than average in the neighborhood. Etc. Etc. Except it was our home for 22 years. We sold it to an investor. He seems OK. But we were last owner-occupants in the block. Might be the last in the neighborhood. Basically it had become a student ghetto. It was a good house.
Decided to see if I could get a video server connected to my home network. It needed a static address. OK, I think I know what I have not assigned but lets check. Also lets identify everything which uses DHCP.
I had 16 devices connected to 2 routers. And there was a few things turned off!
Yep, got a letter from my ISP stamped “END OF SERVICE”. They are exiting the local market as “Due to recent changes in the Windstream network IgLou can no longer economically off service in your area.”
We have been a customer since August 25, 2002. We also has IqLou DSL at my work for our clients since March 2003. And now I have to wade through various TOSs and rates. Well least I have until October 31.
I posted this on Facebook but thought it might be a good fit here. Today, I have finally started the repair on the dining room ceiling in our old house. I didn’t want to do it as trying to match an almost 100 year old ceiling is daunting.
Basically, in 2005, Katrina paid Kentucky a visit as a tropical depression and parked over head. It has been almost 11 years so the details are a bit hazy. I swear it rained for a week. Anyhow, we had annoying leak before. I could not track it down. It was not major. Just a drip every now and then. I caulked and sealed everything. But no solution. Then Katrina came. And it rained in the dining room.
So the first thing after getting buckets and moving the table was to knock a hole in the ceiling to let the water out. And then a big chunk came down. Least I could now have an idea where the water was coming from. Turns out, it was not the roof, gutter, soffit etc. But instead the upstairs window sill. It was rotted out between the two windows. After alot of cussing, I fixed that. Now the hole in the ceiling? A temporary fix, a piece of painted plywood. It has been that way every since. Now we want to sell the house, it needs fixed.
The house is plaster over cement board. That comes to just about an inch. They don’t make drywall in 1 inch thickness. So 1/2 drywall over 1/2 plywood.
And now the pictures. The last one is a cross-section of the original ceiling. It is three layers. A cement board, rough coat of cement/mortar and a finish coat of plaster. Actually one more as at some point in the last 90 years or so, someone added texture to the ceilings.
Out of 134! Yep I came in last place nationally in the 2015 Field Day in my category. Now I did better overall. 2442 out of 2720 overall. Or 3rd of out 3 in Kentucky in my category.
Field Day is an amateur radio contest sponsored by ARRL. Its basic premise is you operate somewhere other than your main station. There are lots of categories. For 2015 and 2012 I operated category 1B1B. Which is portable battery powered with solar or other non petrol/ AC mains backup. Other years I have operated 1E. Which is home station but under emergency power. While not doing good in the contest, I have demonstrated the main point, I can operate under emergency conditions. For the 134th place I strung a bit of wire around my sister’s gazebo for my antenna. Way too low and way too short but I still made contacts.
I took the Hunter Original Fan out of our old house and installed it in the Radio Room. A bit of a chore as it is heavy, mounts differently than normal fans and there was no box in the ceiling.
First to find the center of the room:
Next to make the hole. The original builder decided to put a wall scone in instead of a ceiling light. Later that was removed and the box was plastered over. But that’s another story.
Then a metal pancake box screwed to the joist. BTW, I found the layout mark on the joist for where the ceiling light was originally planned to be located. Notice the u-bolt fan mount. It is lag screwed into the joist. I had to drill through the electrical box for the lag screws.